Friday, December 15, 2017

30 Weeks!

Originally written December 12, 2017

Sorry for the wet hair look. I knew I would be working late tonight so needed to get an early morning picture.

Size of Baby: Baby Savannah weighed in at 3 pounds 7 ounces at the Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM) office yesterday, and then an hour later, our regular doctor clocked her at 4 pounds. Our regular doctor's equipment is old, so she can be a pound off in either direction. MFM has the best ultrasound equipment, so the 3 pounds 7 ounces should be pretty much right on. According to the Bump app, she is the size of a zucchini.

Total Weight Gain/Loss: Holding steady at 183 this week, up 23 pounds total.

Nursery Updates: We moved all of her stuff out of the nursery and into the guest room, so that Dave will have plenty of room to put her crib together. Hopefully he gets around to that soon. It would make this momma's heart happy to see the crib with the mattress inside and the fitted sheet on there ready to go. I got a chance to go through all of the late night diapers from the shower Catherine hosted. Here were my favorites:


Maternity Clothes: Melissa gave me a ginormous bag full of maternity winter shirts. I love them. They are comfortable, good colors and will see me through the rest of this pregnancy.

Weird Moment This Week: First stretchmark. Or maybe I should call it a constellation of red dots. It appeared this morning, Tuesday, December 12. Savannah has been preferring my left lower side. I think it's where her butt is. And that's where this lovely constellation has appeared. Update on my constellation, Dr. Martin told me yesterday, it's just hormones, not an actual stretch mark :)

Also, I realized yesterday that my belly button might actually have a little flap that is protruding instead of laying flat. I didn't even know if my belly button would become flat. Now I'm thinking at the end it might be poking out!

Where is Baby: Baby is still positioned head down, with her abdomen lining up around my belly button. Yesterday her feet were under my left rib cage. But I have yet to feel her feet in my rib cage, like I've heard other women talk about.

Movement: I think yesterday was the most Savannah has moved in one day. I don't know if she knew it was doctor visit day or what. But during the entire ultrasound, she kept jumping away from the ultrasound wand and turning her head whenever we tried to see her face. Her movement continued through the rest of the evening and into the night. Feeling her move and having Dave right beside me at the same time is my favorite thing. I feel so peaceful knowing they are both right beside me.

Sleep: Eh, I've had some really awful nights this week. Some of my worst. One night I had such bad heartburn, oh it was Monday, cause I worked late and then ate deep dish pizza at 8:15pm. I won't do that again. If I haven't eaten dinner by 7, I'm not going to eat dinner. It's just not worth it with the heartburn. Last night wasn't too bad.

What I Miss: Sleep, working out as usual. But at the same time, this is my favorite part of pregnancy so far. I just love feeling her move inside of me. I love bringing her to work every day with me. I just love that she is with me wherever I go.

Cravings: It's all over the place. My taste buds change within 10 minutes. Yesterday, when we left St. Francis at 4, we decided on tacos for the night. On my 20 minute drive home, I started craving Chinese, Thai, and then back to tacos. It's nuts. But in reality, I'm not as hungry as I was before. I think all my organs are being smashed, so I just don't have that much room.

Dave and I are not cake people. But he was cleaning out our pantry over the weekend and found this personal-sized cake mix I had bought a year (or two) ago :) So we made it last night to celebrate being 30 weeks pregnant.


It was delicious, and I had my piece with Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream.

Symptoms: Organs are being smashed. I pee constantly even though only a few drops might come out. Her head is literally resting on my bladder, which we saw at the MFM office yesterday. So it makes total sense why. That also explains why I can go a few hours at night without peeing, because laying down relieves that pressure.

Best Moment This Week: Yesterday at the MFM office getting to watch our little girl on screen for 30-45 minutes. We had a new ultrasound tech, so she wasn't as swift with taking all of the necessary measurements. So we had even more time with our princess. Dave said he has never seen me look so peaceful as I did when I was watching my little girl on the screen.


Moments with Dave this Week: The night before my 24 hour urine collection test, I had a HUGE meltdown. We had gone to the ORU men's basketball game that night. And as I was getting ready for bed, I decided to practice some of the urine collection stuff before I started it the next morning. I could have sworn the girls at the lab told me the hats that you place in the toilet to collect your urine were foldable, and that's how you poured it into the jug. So I practiced folding my first one, and the bottom popped out. It was very hard plastic. But that was the one Dave had brought home with him from work, so that I would have a back-up. I showed him what I had done, and then I promptly tried to fold the one that the lab from St. Francis had given me, and a part snapped off. I immediately started sobbing. I might have thrown myself on the ground. It was not pretty.

Dave was in shock that I had broken not one, but two of the hats! The only ones we had. And it was 10:30pm on a Friday night. And we had set aside Saturday for me to do this test.

He climbed out of bed, put on presentable clothes and said he was going to the hospital to get me some more. It was so incredibly sweet. He came home with 3 of them and showed me how to use them so I wouldn't break it again. :)

Saturday I was able to finish putting up our Christmas decorations, which I did very low key this year. On the tree, just new ribbon, red balls and a few of our favorite homemade ornaments as well as our 4 nutcrackers.


What I'm Looking Forward To: Christmas in Kansas City!

What the Doctor Said this Week: The doctors had a lot to say. Our MFM doctor, Dr. Jones, is great. He is easy to talk to, but he also addressed my blood pressure in serious tones. He said if Dr. Martin had gotten the first reading they got at MFM, she would have sent me over to Labor and Delivery for monitoring. He said my blood pressure is at critical levels and 95% worse than most of his patients, which is hard to believe. Because a lot of the people in that waiting room did not look like healthy specimens. He spent the first 15 minutes of the consultation talking about me and my blood pressure and how we can lower my stress....is it time to cut down my hours at work, I need to reduce my exercise (which led to some push back on my part, but he won) and I need to keep my heart rate under 120 when exercising. He is starting me on the lowest dose of a blood pressure lowering medicine, in hopes that it really helps the situation and buys me up until week 38-39. He said with chronic hypertension patients like myself, the best chance of a healthy delivery is between weeks 38-39, which would be between February 4 and 11. I'm pushing for the whole 40 weeks, but obviously I will do whatever I can to keep Savannah safe.

Finally, I blurted out "How is my baby?" She is doing great! He said she is in the 34th percentile overall, although her head is in the 72nd percentile. We were able to see her breathing through her nose. Her heart looked great. She is getting great blood flow and nutrients from the placenta and umbilical cord. All the best news for my ears. So now, just to keep me in check for the next 10 weeks.

There has been lots of this going on...

Weirdest Thing I ate this Week: An apple at 2:30 in the morning on Monday night. I was out of tums and Kristine told me apples help nutrilize stomach acid. Sure enough, within 10 minutes I was back to sleep.

Verse I'm Clinging to this Week: "Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in Him." Psalm 62:5

Prayer for this upcoming week: That the blood pressure medicine will help bring my numbers down, especially at my next appointments on the 27th. We will continue seeing both Dr. Jones and Dr. Martin for the continuation of the pregnancy.

2 comments:

  1. So awesome!! You are doing great 👍🏼 Almost there 🤗🤗 So glad that sweet little Savannah is doing great too! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete