Monday, January 15, 2018

35 Weeks!

Originally written January 10, 2018
Size of Baby: Baby Savannah weighed in at an estimated 5 pounds 4 ounces at Dr. Martin's office on Wednesday at our appointment. According to the Bump app, she is as big as a pineapple and around 18 inches long.

Total Weight Gain/Loss: 187.5, up 27.5 pounds total.

Maternity Clothes: I've started giving some of my first and second trimester clothes to another pregnant myrtle. I had a bad experience Tuesday with a pair of jeans I thought would be more comfortable, because they were a size bigger than my normal pants and had a low belly band. The full belly band jeans are starting to roll down during the day. So I'm constantly having to pull my pants up, not cool. But the jeans were a disaster. They squeezed my lower right back and my left lower belly...or it could have been a contraction. Who knows. But I did end up switching into leggings in the middle of the work day. Sorry coworkers!

Where is Baby: Head down. Usually her body is on the left, but she was doing some weird moves this week where sometimes I could feel her butt on my right side.

Movement: I can definitely distinguish when baby girl is awake or asleep. I don't worry as much now when I don't feel her for a couple of hours, because I know she is sleeping alot. And when she is awake, she is an active little thing. She especially loves when I drink apple juice. She dances up a storm :)

She loves partying at night. Here I was trying to get a video of her, but I swear as soon as I take my phone out to capture her moves, she stops.


The other day at work, she was totally schlepped over to my left side. I think ya'll will be able to see it in this picture.


Sleep: For the most part, sleep isn't great. It is definitely better when I take a Pepcid AC, otherwise, I wake up with crazy acid reflux. I'm waking up about 3 times every night to pee, usually 12:45, 3:00 and 5:00. I try to sleep till 6 or 6:30.

Last night, pregnancy insomnia kept me up from 3:30-4:45. I tried to just lay there and go back to bed. I'll pray. I'll play with Savannah. Usually she will play tag with me, where if I put my hand on my belly, she will recognize it with a little pushback with whatever part of her body is right there. It's super fun. Eventually, I pulled out my phone and started looking at my FB albums.

In all of our years of trying, I feel like we have tried to make the most out of life. I bet most people wouldn't have been able to detect our sorrow just from purely looking at our photos on FB. But in almost all of the trip albums, I can think back to exactly how I felt on our journey.

I remember Christmas 2015 in Kansas City... I started getting cramps on Christmas Eve night. It was our 3rd month of trying the trigger shot with the timed intercourse cycle. I was absolutely devastated when I woke up that Christmas morning and had started my period. But I did my best to put on my happy face, enjoy a nice Christmas breakfast with Dave, walk the plaza with him and take pictures. But I was broken-hearted. Right after we got home from that trip, I told him I needed a break. No more doctors, no more meds. My mind and body were SO tired of all the hormones, and all of the appointments. (Timed intercourse cycles required at least 4 appointments per month, usually 5. Luckily, Dave was able to get out of all of those.)

I look back on our trip to Arizona in October of 2016. I didn't know it, but I was pregnant. In all of those pictures, I see a girl who so badly wanted to be pregnant, and she was, but she just didn't know it yet. And then the morning after getting home, we got our 2nd positive pregnancy test. And later in that week, we had our second miscarriage.

I also can look back on our May 2017 trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. I knew that we were done trying at that point, based on what Dave had told me on April 26. But God knew that He wasn't done, that our story was far from over. I enjoyed beer tasting at the breweries, super intense hikes with my hubby. And I even started my period on Mother's Day on a hike in the park. But it would be my last period before getting pregnant with our little miracle, Savannah.
I started my period on this hike. I remember it plain as day.

All that goes to say, I was up a LONG time in the middle of the night during my pregnancy insomnia, thanking God for our journey and reminiscing over the times we've had in the last 5 years, the good and the bad.

What I Miss: Being able to chug ice water!

Cravings: Maybe milk, but even that has slowed down this week. Food is not something I particularly enjoy right now, but something I know I have to have, kind of like vitamins.

I thought of one! Sprite!!! I have had 7 Sprites this week. I don't think I've ever done that before. It all started after my eventful doctor appointment Wednesday. So that's 7 sprites between Wednesday and Saturday!

Symptoms: By far, my most uncomfortable symptom this pregnancy has been acid reflux. Now as I'm getting closer to my due date, I'm eating TUMS daily. And I've started taking a Pepcid AC most nights to help me sleep. I've never experienced acid reflux and feel really bad for those that experience it all the time in normal life.

It's challenging, because I know I need to eat to nourish my baby. And I know I need to drink to make sure I stay hydrated. But both of those actions cause me pretty intense discomfort...even water.

Best Moment This Week: Dave coming home from his New Mexico trip!!!! I felt an immediate weight lifted off my shoulders when he walked in the door. Now Savannah can come whenever she wants.

Moments with Dave this Week: Right before he left we hung up the Adventure Awaits banner. Nursery complete for now!


What I'm Looking Forward To: Seeing my baby girl on Wednesday!

What the Doctor Said this Week: This week was the first time I had to go to the doctor by myself. I had a nonstress test at MFM. It was really wonderful listening to Savannah's heartbeat for 20 minutes. I was in a nice, small room by myself, found Seinfeld on TV and was just chilling. Unfortunately, with only about 5 minutes left, I started salivating alot. I hadn't been feeling nauseous, so this was totally out of the blue. I thought, surely I am not about to throw up. But the saliva kept coming. I tried to push the recliner back into an upright position and couldn't do it. I was totally strapped into this chair and machine, one strap monitoring Savannah's heart rate and the other strap monitoring uterine contractions. I couldn't reach the trashcan, and while I was grasping at it, threw up projectile style on the wall and floor and eventually grabbed the trashcan and had it in my lap all while trying to sit up in this recliner that was reclined while strapped into all this gear and trying to get the monitor back on the spot where Savannah's heart could be heard. It was a mini disaster for sure. When the nurse came back in, she said, oh my, shut the door and went to get Dr. Jones. He came back in, and asked how long I've been feeling bad. I told him, 2 minutes and maybe 30 seconds before that. I was fine, really, maybe just hungry. But he went on about needing to stay hydrated, we might have to treat my nausea, etc. But the bottom line is that Savannah's heart did exactly what he wanted. And he said we were good to go for another week! So down the hall I went to see Dr. Martin.

Oh, and my blood pressure was fabulous at Dr. Jones. 131/78.

Dr. Martin's nurse, Kristin, passed on taking my blood pressure and weighing me, since I was still upset about vomiting over at Dr. Jones. Dr. Martin quickly did the ultrasound, said Savannah looked great, estimated her at 5 pounds 4 ounces and she tried to give me a doctor's note for work saying I needed to go home and get some rest. But I couldn't do that this week. Almost any other week, I would have been able to follow her advice. But this week is our biggest week of the year at work. It is the only time that breakfast, lunch and dinner gets brought into the office for 4 days straight while we work our butts off.


What I Want To Remember about being Pregnant:

When I was getting ready for work this morning and lots of mornings, I look in the mirror and I think my belly is really pretty, beautiful actually. So far I don't see any stretchmarks, though I fully expect some to appear within the next few weeks or after delivery. It's so round. I want to remember feeling beautiful while pregnant. Now I don't always feel beautiful in maternity clothes, and I definitely feel better in the more form-flattering variety that shows off my curves. I don't know if it's my age or the fact that I've been waiting 5+ years to carry a baby, but I'm so grateful I feel this way about my belly. I know alot of women struggle with their changing bodies. But I'm just super grateful.

I bought this nice support belt to use while exercising, but I've only remembered to wear it twice!

Favorite Surprise this Week: My friend, Jennifer Gregston, from my Dallas PwC days, sent 3 amazing little outfits for Savannah. They are 3 of my favorite!!!

Prayer for this upcoming week: That I will be mindful of the miracle God has bestowed upon me and soak up every minute with this sweet baby inside me. I want to treasure all of her flinches and kicks.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I laughed when I read about you kicking back and watching Seinfeld. Why is it that Seinfeld always comes through at the most crucial moments! I remember when I was waiting in the hotel sweet to marry John, just nervous like crazy and I sat there watching Seinfeld while waiting to be called on to walk down the isle.

    ReplyDelete